Dietary supplements, background information
Dietary supplements have been defined as of 1994 via legislation.
What makes an OTC drug so much different than a prescription drug is regulation. While a prescription drug manufacturer can state their drug may diagnose, cure, treat, prevent or mitigate a disease, an over the counter manufacturer cannot legally state that.
Further regulation of dietary supplements
Contrary to a lot of belief, for a new over the counter entity a manufacturer is to provide the FDA with information regarding how it determined their product is safe for human consumption. Such evidence should be "reasonable."
However, and unlike with prescription drug entities, over the counter drugs do not have to be officially approved by the FDA before they reach the market. Drug manufacturers must get approval from the FDA before a prescription drug can reach the market place.
A couple reasons exist for removal of an ingredient from the market. One reason is safety, for example, Oxy Pro, a highly touted over the counter product was removed after the FDA proved it was unsafe. Another reason for removal is if the manufacturer states something deceptive and misleading on the product label of the over the counter entity.
Over the counter products do not have to prove the purity and quality of the ingredients within the supplement but there is hope...
As of 2007, The FDA decided to release what are called good manufacturer practices that provide manufacturers a standard in which the entity should be made to provide quality. This guarantee, when met, is visible on the ingredient label as a seal. The seal ensures stringent requirements were met in order to produce the product, giving you a better product.
There is not one standard seal that looks exactly the same on each product but if you search for it you'll find something that looks similar to this.
Seal of approval
Health safety points to keep in mind
You should not take an OTC without first consulting with your health care provider especially if you have diagnosed youself.
Remember, don't take a product along side or in the place of a prescribed medication without a consult from your doctor or pharmacist.
Make sure to review with your doctor before having surgery if you are taking a product, make sure to tell s/he what it is you are taking.
A natural product doesn't equate into a safe product. For example, St. John's wort interacts with many medications. Some products over the counter can even harm your liver such as comfrey and kava.
Before taking a supplement ask yourself what the benefits are, is it safe, what dose should I take and how long should I take it?
Other resources for helping you to 2CreateABody...
- Whey Protein - Learn how and why this is essential to building your body.
- Krill Oil - Learn why this is so important to be on especially if you are heavy with cholesterol problems.
- Best Weight Lifting Supplements: Know what the primary weight lifting supplements are.
- Multi-Vitamins - Are they a waste of money or are they good for you?
- Meal replacement supplements: What you should know when shopping for meal replacement supplements.
- What is ZMA? - Ronnie Coleman takes it, find out why you should as well!
- Acai Berry Dietary Supplement - Does it really cause weight loss, what is the hype about?
- ADHD Dietary Supplements - What's effective if anything that's over-the-counter for ADD/ADHD?
- Alli Dietary Supplement - It works to reduce fat absorption which you can't miss.
- Beano dietary supplement - The supplement that is safe and effective at fighting gas!
- Benefits of glutamine - Use this supplement to increase your exercise capacity
- Beta alanine - Use this amino acid to increase lean mass through increased workout intensity.
- Branched Chain Amino Acids - These can help you improve your body significantly. Don't not supplement with it.
- Vitamin D - The benefits of Vitamin D may surprise you.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid - A look at some human studies to boost or negate this extremely popular supplement.
- Creatine Supplementation - See here to learn how safe creatine is and how effective it can be in making you look much better!
- Dietary Supplements For Stress - A review of several supplements that may be handy for insomnia and headaches.
- Ephedra Dietary Supplement - What was epehedra all about? Is it safe? Is it effective?
- Garcinia cambogia - Click through here to read all about the popular usage of garcinia cambogia.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract - Can specifically Svetol help me loss weight and improve my hypertension?
- Hoodia - Is this product effective or a shame? Review and decide.
- L-Arginine - Use this supplement to improve exercise tolerance and efficiency.
- L-Carnitine - Are there really any benefits for weight loss?
- Meratrim - What is this product, talked about by Dr. Oz all about?
- Milk Thistle Uses- What can I treat with this "holy" thistle?
- Raspberry Ketone - Like a stimulant this helps you burn fat.
- The Airborne Dietary Supplement - A controversial supplement that I shed an educated perspective on.
- The Chromium Dietary Supplement - Will chromium be effective in helping you to 2CreateABody? Read more...
- Bodybuilding Supplements For Women - Learn what is different and what is the same for women vs. men.
- Best Zinc Supplement: Learn what the best zinc supplement is for regulating your immune system or for building muscle mass.
- Cranberry Supplements: See what these little healthy berries will do for you today!
- Atkins Nutritional Supplements: These wonderful supplements are a great option for someone following the very strict atkins diet.
- Best Fiber Supplement: Read why pectin gets the title of being the world's best fiber supplement.
- Anti Aging Supplements: Learn how to age slowly and peacefully.
- Colon Blow Detoxification: Get yourself healthier by taking care of your digestive system. This article can help you.
- Best Forskolin Supplement: We picked out the very best forskolin supplement to get you on track to burning fat fast!
- Best Fish Oil Supplement: In case you are wondering, the best fish oil supplement is here, presented to you so that you can have the best.
- Green Tea Dietary Supplement: Learn 10 reasons why you should be drinking this daily and 0 reasons why you shouldn't.
- Biotin Dietary Supplement: Learn what this vitamin can do for you.
- The Best Fat Burning Supplements: Come on in and see what has been chosen and believed to be the best fat burning supplements on the market.
- Calcium Supplements Side Effects: Learn if calcium supplementation is right for you.
- Best Herbal Supplement: Learn how to find the best herbal supplement to meet your needs.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Supplements: Find out the benefits and find a few supplements to meet your needs.
- Bariatric Supplements: This complex situations requires supplementation, here's what you should get.
- b12 supplements: What you need to know.
- Best Testosterone Supplement: Get a bona fide, affordable, quality, legit test booster.
- All Natural Health Supplements: What you need to know about natural supplements before buying.
- Best Muscle Gain Supplement: Whey Protein is your staple when it comes to gaining lean body mass.
- Best Vitamin Supplements: Have a look at several popular vitamin supplements and decide which is right for you.
- Buy Vitamin Supplements: Read why you should be on a daily multivitamin.
- High Protein Supplements: The best supplements with max protein for your needs. Consider yourself well taken care of.
- Liver Supplements: Get the best supplements to take care of your precious liver.
- NO2 Supplement: Be like Popeye after taking an NO2 supplement; learn all the benefits of NO2 here.
- Natural Progesterone Supplement: Several progesterone supplements reviewed for those that need progesterone.
- Fruit and Vegetable Supplements: If you aren't getting your needs met, why not have a super healthy supplement that has your needs for fruits and vegetables everyday met.
- Natural Sleep Supplements: Find out about some great supplements that can help you sleep and even overcome insomnia.
- Lupus Diet: For symptom control and risk mitigation.
- Lysine supplements: Learn the benefits of this essential amino acid that you may be lacking.
- Male Fertility Supplements: Make your sperm more effective at doing its job.
- Melatonin supplement: Learn what supplements are available and what's right for me.
- Memory supplements: Learn what you can take to improve your memory starting now.
- Supplements for anxiety: Find some ordinary substances to curb the anxiety with.
- Nutritional Supplements For Children: Learn what is safe and effective for children.
- Powerlifting Supplements: Get these important supplements for powerlifting.
- Optimum Nutrition Protein Powder: Get quality protein that can take you to the next height.
- Pomegranate Nutrition: Interesting fruit with nutritious value. Have a look.
- Vitamin B Supplement: Find out the interesting benefits of the B complex.
- Weight Gain Supplements: Know what the current standard is and what's best out there.
- Probiotic Supplements: What they do for you and why you need them.
- Supplements for high blood pressure: Augment your lifestyle changes with these supplements for a healthy blood pressure.
- Cholesterol Lowering Supplements: Find out about 5 different supplements to lower your cholesterol with.
- Prostate Supplements: Learn what's being used and what to stay away from.
- GABA Supplements: Learn what GABA can do for you and your anxiety along with precautions.
- Supplement for losing weight: A few supplements mentioned that may be of help to you in your quest for the elusive weight loss.
- Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Powder Reviewed.
- Taurine Supplement: We all known it's in red bull but let's have a closer look.
- Herbs and Supplements for high blood pressure: Find out how to lower your blood pressure without dangerous prescription drugs.
- Liquid Vitamin Supplements for ADHD
- Nox supplement: Read all the benefits about the use of a good nitric oxide supplement.
- Rice Milk Nutrition Facts: Learn how to lead a healthier life.
- Vegetarian Iron Supplement: Come see why iron is so important for vegetarians.
- DLPA Supplement: may reduce pain and depression
- Testosterone Supplements Review: Learn about testosterone boosting supplements, are they legit or not?
Of Further Interest.
1. YouTube Video Of Ronnie Coleman Talking About Supplements He Takes.
Hi, my name is Joseph
I’m a U.S. AirForce Veteran, College Graduate with 352 credits mixed by undergrad/professional and graduate school. I am an Entrepreneur and enjoy sharing my interest and love for fitness and Entrepreneurship with everyone. I have lofty, obtainable goals for my website.
The intent of this site is to provide as much loving value as possible to each and everyone that visits. I encourage Entrepreneurship and want to spotlight the benefits of spirituality that are applicable and unquestionably and immensely helpful for both Entrepreneurship and Fitness pursuits.
Thank you very much for visiting, feel free to look around and to connect with me more closely. I love Pinterest and would appreciate any help available. Just one or two pins a day or more would greatly help me spread love. Thank you so much and with peace and love everlasting. I would enjoy getting to know each and everyone of you.
Connect with me on, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Pinterest.
You can also support the website by using my amazon link. Thank you. http://amzn.to/27j9VTS